The Richard S. and Nelle Dabney Merit Award 2020-2021
This award was started in 1971 through the efforts of Richard S. Dabney, a past Missouri director of Special Education, to recognize and encourage those who will shape the future of special education. Nelle Dabney served as the Director of Special Education in Kansas City. The MO-CEC Board of Directors has named this award in their honor.
Only student chapters may submit nominations. The nominee must be a full time student working toward initial certification in one or more areas of special education and must be a member of a chapter in MO-CEC.
Each student chapter in MO-CEC may nominate one (1) person for the award annually by submitting the following to the chairperson of the Awards Committee
- completed MO-CEC demographic information awards form;
- a letter of nomination from a CEC chapter;
- vita/resume to include CEC and other related activities;
- two letters of recommendation, one (1) from a college or university special education instructor, and one (1) from a college faculty member outside of special education or a field experience supervisor.
- an essay of five hundred (500) words or less prepared by the candidate on the subject, “Why I Have Chosen the Field of Special Education”.