Missouri Special Education Teacher of the Year 2021-2022
On January 12, 1985, the MO-CEC Board of Directors established the Missouri Special Education Teacher of the Year Award. The recipient will become Missouri’s nominee for the CEC Clarissa Hug Teacher of the Year Award. Past nominees may be re-nominated.
Each chapter & subdivision in MO-CEC may nominate one (1) person for the award annually by submitting to the chairperson of the awards committee the following:
- completed MO-CEC demographic information awards form;
- a letter of nomination from a MO-CEC chapter or subdivision outlining the educational philosophy and/or the outstanding professional contributions of the nominee to the field of special education in the State of Missouri;
- vita/resume of the nominee (three page maximum) ;
- Up to three letters of recommendation from colleagues, supervisors, or other professionals documenting the nominee’s efforts in meeting the award criteria specifically in the areas of: Innovation, Evidence of student progress, Collaboration, Leadership, or Mentoring;
- Three testimonials from students, parents, or colleagues of the nominee’s ability to inspire students.
- Three to five letters or testimonials from colleagues, supervisors, education professionals, students, or parents documenting the nominee’s efforts and/or abilities in the areas of: innovation, evidence of student progress, collaboration, leadership, or mentoring. (Thus combining 4&5)
- The nominee must be currently involved in direct teaching or another service area related to students with exceptionalities.
- The nominee shall demonstrate exemplary performance over a period of time as a teacher or provider of direct services, exhibiting such qualities as innovation, imagination, creativity, and ability to inspire. Those achievements must be clearly recognized by members of the profession and others knowledgeable of the nominee’s performance.
- The nominee must be a member of CEC and must have maintained membership for at least the last three years and engage in work consistent with CEC’s mission statement. The nominee shall be appropriately certified as a teacher or related specialist as recognized by state and professional authorities.